Friday, March 4, 2016

The consequences of Education

http://rw.runnersworld.com/images/raveruns/june_2014_raverun_1920x1200.jpg

The impact of education is possibly the most significant and consequential endeavor that will ever exist. 

However, the children being impacted by education are the least likely to fully comprehend it’s value. Their ability to see long-term is limited.  

That is why you (parent, teacher, paraprofessional, custodian, volunteer, neighbor, principal, relative, ROLE MODELS) are so important. 

I used to run. (Don't judge my current physical condition, there's an athlete under all of this still, somewhere....) From 2005 - 2012 I ran 13+ marathons (and hundreds of 1/2 marathon if you count all the long runs. I just could never get myself to pay for a half, since I ran them weekly for free. Sorry Halfers, but it's still only half. :P )

I ran with a guy who ran XC and the steeple chase in college. Brilliant guy, one of my most prized friends. He pushed me and challenged me and made me faster and puke, which I did not enjoy. But his most lasting advice was: 
               
"When things get tough, some runners look down. They focus on the next step. But not only does it make it more discouraging, it physically takes a toll. Your chest closes, your shoulders tense, your neck strains. Look up. Always look up. Focus on a location down the trail and work towards that. Once you reach it, pick another. Then another. Good runners focus on where they're going, not where they are."

We need to help our students see the end, not just each step that it takes to get there. 

No comments:

Post a Comment