Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Reflecting on the old year, preparing for the new one

Here are a few take-away's from this school year:

  1. Hire teacher leaders. We don't need a team with 1 leader, we need a team with ALL leaders, who can all lead a PLC, all guide a data analysis, all stand up for what's best for students. 
  2. Parents: please, please, please make your kiddos read 20-30 minutes, EVERY DAY this summer. Their futures depend on it. 
  3. I didn't do enough. I still don't think I memorized the name of every student. I wasn't able to attend very many of their personal after-school events. I could have been a little more patient with that certain 2nd grader. The list goes on and on...
  4. I did a lot! It's no wonder I get sick the week after school gets out. My body can finally let its guard down. Meetings, hirings, evaluations, discipline, one classroom had a fire, several rooms flooded, starting dual immersion next year required a lot of time, teams struggling to be effective, a couple teachers required a lot of my time...
  5. Data: I'm still struggling to create (or steal) a simple method of analyzing common formative assessments that results in two things: specific interventions/extensions for students based on the data and specific instructional interventions for those teachers whose students struggled.
  6. Did I reach my social-emotional goals? I had a few: 
    1. Ask one teacher a day "What did you learn about a student and what did you do about it?" No. There were several days when I didn't ask anyone this question. But after a while I would have teacher come to me and tell me the answer without me even asking. 
    2. Tell at least 5 students a day: "I am so excited to see you!! You make our school better, did you know that?!" Maybe. I got pretty good at stopping kids in the hallway, placing my hands on both of their shoulders and asking them this. 
    3. Support my teachers. Maybe, hard to assess. But I did have a lot more teachers in my office crying this year about non-work related issues. Could have just been a super-sucky  emotional year for some.
  7. I tried to be there for my family more this year. Failed. It seemed like last year, despite being the first year as a principal, was less stressful. This year we had so many more meetings, so many more new issues that arose, that I really felt the stress this year. And I know there were many days I came home grouchy and tired and not ideal. Sure, I was home, but not quality time with dad/hubby. 
For next year:
  • Data analysis protocol needs to be clear and implemented. This isn't for big data, this is for the 15-day cycles. This starts with my team leads knowing my expectations. 
  • Be more intentional about supporting my new teachers. I will have 3 brand-new teachers, and a couple who are not new to teaching, but new to our district. Strong mentor teachers. Release time for training and peer observations. Individualized professional development. Frequent check-ins.
  • Train ELL and LAP teachers to be instructional coaches. Instead of them focusing on their identified students, they can have time to strengthen teacher efficacy. More bang for the buck. 
  • When I'm home, be home. Put away phone. Leave work at work.                                                       

No comments:

Post a Comment